Tuesday 11 October 2011

Petro Canada Service Station, Liverpool, Nova Scotia


Petro Canada Service Station in 1996
Earl Illsley is believed the have been the first operator of this service station which was located on the corner of Milton Road and Bristol Ave (known as Chesley's Corner). The building was thought to have been built in the 1930s. After Earl Illsley left the Fina Station, Hector Joudrey took over around 1965. In the late 1960s I lived just up the street where Super Store is now located and I would venture down to the station to buy chocolate bars or ice cream sandwiches. Hector was always so good to us kids and he was very well liked by his customers. I'm not sure of all the owners but at the time of the photo, Borden and Margo Hanley were the owners. A few years ago it was demolished because it was thought there might be leakage from the underground holding tanks. Sadly it was one of only 3 old gas stations left in Nova Scotia and the Liverpool station I believe was the largest of the 3. The lot is now vacant.

9 comments:

  1. It's a shame this building had to be destroyed because, if I remember right, this design had abit of significance. I also seem to remember that there was some sort of group fighting to save it. I thought it was destroyed to make room for something else but apparently that wasn't the case.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anne Marie Joudrey20 October 2011 at 10:47

    Thanks Tim for posting the page from The Advance about Grampy being the new owner of the gas station. I have never seen that before and it was nice clicking on the blog and seeing it! You are doing an amazing job with your blog and I hope you continue doing it. You should write a book!
    : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was the Super Service Station owned and operated by Hap Sabin back I believe in the 1940's

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful blog! Do you have any hints for aspiring writers?
    I'm planning to start my own site soon but I'm a little
    lost on everything. Would you propose starting with a free platform like Wordpress or go for a paid option?
    There are so many options out there that I'm totally overwhelmed .. Any recommendations? Thank you!

    Also visit my web site well-defined abs

    ReplyDelete
  5. This originally was a Sunoco Station and it was state of the art when it opened in 1931. It had a nice lounge and washroom for the ladies to freshen up as the "touring cars" of the time stopped for service. This station was owned and operated by Vaughan Ray. He was married to a wealthy woman whose father was a prominent leader and CEO. Vaughan was musical and played in a local band and a volunteer for a number of good causes in Town. They lived on Old Falls Road in the house where the Williamson's presently live. He died in the late thirties from cancer, and his wife and two sons moved to Middleton, NS. Hap Sabin took over the station in 1940. The oldest son was light fingered growing up in Town, and was arrested in Montreal years later for robbing a bank. Basically, the station did very well until the new Irving Station opened across the road and, the now PETRO station could not compete. So it closed...the rest is history.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Earl Illsley owned and operated a station further down Brooklyn Road next to his home. It would have been several hundred feet as the crow flies to the West of this station.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry...I meant East of this station.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was my uncle Hector gas station. When I lived there

    ReplyDelete