Saturday 15 October 2011

Milton Memorial Hall, Tupper Street, Milton, Nova Scotia

The hall after completion
Building the Milton Hall
I recall when I was younger, my dad's uncle had a few boxes of old papers, receipts, etc and one day I got to look through the boxes. In it were mostly papers dealing with Milton businesses but there was a letter that I never forgot. It read help was needed to build the new Milton Memorial Hall so bring your hammer and come help us build. I didn't save the letter and after the uncle passed away in 2001 I was hoping to find those boxes of stuff. Sadly they were gone, most likely burned in the kitchen stove. The Milton Hall opened around 1961 and has been used as a community hall for 50 years. Many Milton volunteers have kept the place going and when it looked really bad for the hall a few years ago, more people stepped up to the plate and picked up the pieces and to my knowledge things are going strong again. Monday night Bingo has been held there forever and I remember going there when I was a kid with my dad and later with my grandmother. Guyon Covey and his friend Olive Whynot always sat in the same spot and never missed a Monday Night Bingo. Also held in the building were auctions, dances, wedding receptions, meetings, suppers, mens and womens volleyball leagues and of course Milton Days in July is usually held in the hall yard. (The Milton Days Queen Pageant was held in the hall) When I was going to Milton School in the 1970s the school didn't have a gym so we walked over to the Hall to play basketball, floor hockey, and volleyball for gym class with our teacher Roger Jollimore. Back around the 1980s I think, the entrance was enlarged and a wheelchair ramp added. The large windows along each side of the building were removed and not replaced because of constant vandalism. This year new tables and chairs were purchased for the hall and the kitchen had some renovations done to it as well. The Milton Community Association built and operates the hall and as I recall, the sign in the entry says that they are always looking for more members to help keep things going. Last I knew Anne Conrad was president and doing a great job!
The last years I donated my money to their cause by going to bingo with my mom. Haven't been there since July and I miss the gang from Monday night Bingo but hope to see them all real soon!

7 comments:

  1. Vivian Whynot Croft15 October 2011 at 09:15

    I remember mom saying that her brother Raymond Boudreau helped build this hall

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debbie Boudreau Spinney15 October 2011 at 14:10

    yepper Dad sure did work on the hall as well as many other places around Milton and Liverpool :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Hall also served as a temporary school when the Old Milton School burned down in 1967.I finished Mrs. Leaman's grade 6 there that year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That hall was so busy when we were kids - Scouts, Guides and Brownies, 4-H....John Toplis used to have basketball for the kids every Thursday night...we walked over from school for phys ed...I'm sure there were lots of other things going on too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Tim for the great write up on the Milton Hall love the old pictures and yes Anne Conrad is still the president.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! These photos and comments sure kick up some memories from the mid-fifties to the mid-sixties... Tuesday night basketball with Harold Arthurs; Saturday afternoon badminton with Russ Hatt; boy scouts in the basement with Otis Beck, Jim Harding, Vernon Fraser; grade 8 graduation from Milton Junior High; air cadet small rifle shooting in the basement; an air cadet Christmas party and an air cadet ball; Thunderboltz dances; Dick and the Avengers dances; Mersey Five dances; a night to remember and a night to forget...

    ReplyDelete