Monday 3 October 2011

The Liverpool Town Hall & Opera House, Main Street, Liverpool, Nova Scotia





Yesterday I posted a photograph of an old Liverpool home. I knew where it was but thought it would be fun to see if anyone could guess which house it is and where it is located. It got the most comments of anything I've added to my blog so maybe I've stumbled across something. My readers like a challenge!!



Tammi Hayne and Allen Fownes guessed which house it was. Today it is located at 46 Court Street next to the MT&T building but it wasn't always found there. It was on Main Street on the site of the Liverpool Town Hall and was moved by oxen to it present site on Court Street. One can only imagine how long it took to move a building of this size by oxen around 1900. Certainly a tough job but they did it.





The new Liverpool Town Hall...note there is no War Memorial in front!
The Town Hall and Opera House was built around 1900-1901 and served our Municipal Government well until the amalgamation took place of the Town of Liverpool and County of Queens, forming the Region of Queens. The new Municipal Offices were moved to White Point Road.

5 comments:

  1. I'm always up for a challenge Tim. I think it is in the Henderson blood. We're always up for a good treasure hunt for facts or answers and usually don't stop until we find it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Tim....I missed your photo contest, but looking forward to the next one. The pic at the top of this page is of two different houses, right? The one on the left is 50 Court St. and the one on the right is 46...am I correct on that one? Both my daughter and my aunt (Joan) lived at 50 Court St (at different times), and Lindsay also lived in the house on the right which I believe is now owned by Bernard Amirault.

    As for the Town Hall...another little piece of history....it is, of course, designated a heritage property and it is one of only two wooden structures built in Canada to serve as Town Halls...the other one being in a small Town in one of the Western provinces, but I can't remember which one right now. Perhaps it will come to me. Something tells me may be in B.C. I worked in this building for 22 years before the Town and County amalgamated in 1996, then I worked at RQM until 2003 when I retired after 30 years of service. When our offices moved to White Point Road, I missed working at the Town Hall very much. I missed the building and it's character, I missed our bright, naturally lighted offices, I missed the tourists that use to visit year-round, I missed the big Tuna mounted on the wall at the top of the beautiful staircase, I missed Main Street and all is people and traffic...it never was the same for me when we moved to the new building on White Point Road, especially having to work in a cubicle with no natural light.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Janice, both pics of the houses is the same building 46 Court Street. I remember reading the article in the Advance about the other wooden town hall in BC but can't remember but I have the article here in one of my books. You knew I would!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tim....I would be the last one to ever disagree with you when it comes to our little town's history, because you are without a doubt, Liverpool's finest historian, but are you absolutely sure about this house thing? I know Lindsay lived in both of these houses...the one on the right is still beside the old MT&T bldg. and the other is just before the corner (almost in Kathy Killam's backyard). Next time you are in Liverpool, would you please, for me, take a drive up Court Street and let me know what you see? The houses in your pic don't even look the same. Am I losing it?? LOL

    I think I also have an article about the two Town Halls somewhere in my boxes back home. I guess I should do some sorting and purging when I move back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you check the shape of the roof in both pictures and the layout of the windows it all fits. My aunt Sherri Roy and family lived in the house behind Kathy Killams house I remember the place well but seems to me the roof doesnt look like this one at all. Perhaps we can find a pic of 50 Court Street and post it to compare. I dont mind you questioning me at all Janice, everyone makes mistakes and I could too so it all helps to be correct in the end!! Keep commenting I enjoy reading the comments!!

    ReplyDelete