Wednesday 12 October 2011

Gravestone Makers in Liverpool, Nova Scotia

Oldest gravestone in Liverpool Martha Knowles 1761

As most of you know, I've enjoyed doing family history for many years. When you do family history, part of your searching takes you to cemeteries. Over the years I've been to more cemeteries than you can imagine. The cemeteries in Liverpool have many old gravestones, the oldest being one located in the Old Burial Ground on Main Street for 14 year old Martha Knowles who died in 1761. On many of the older gravestones, the person who carved the information on the stone also carved their name in the lower part of the stone. T.S. Judge and F. Wagner were 2 of the well known gravestone manufacturers in town way back when. Mr Judge had his business on Main Street and it was in operation back in 1903. Frank Wagner lived on Bristol Avenue and his house was located in front of where Richard Butt presently lives. (I have a picture of his house somewhere), Bill Nickerson has lived next door for many years and told me over the years he found many marble slabs that had never been used by Mr Wagner. Richard Butt also confirmed that he too had found a few while out working in his yard. It's sad to think that many people who have passed away have no gravestone, some of my ancestors were those people. It was almost like they never existed. Visits to the local cemeteries with my grandmother or great aunt Myrtle, when I was young was
One of the gravestones I purchased for my family
often disappointing, when everyone seemed to have a gravestone but our family members. Over the years I purchased many for those ancestors and when each gravestone arrived it was a very proud moment for me. It was almost like I brought their memory back to life. It was a feeling that is hard to explain. To some it might be considered a waste of money to buy a monument for someone I never knew, but not to me. Every time I visit the cemeteries and see those gravestones that I purchased I feel great about what I did.


From the Liverpool Advance March 1946

Gravestone made by F. Wagner...his name on the bottom right corner
Frank Wagner's gravestone in the Anglican Cemetery, Bog Road, Liverpool, N.S.

Taken from Beautiful Queens 1903. It was located at present day 328-332 Main Street (Present location of A1 Pizza)

5 comments:

  1. Timmy, that was a wonderful thing to do, to buy headstones for your ancestors. Your such a thoughtful, nice young man. Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Geraldine Cunningham12 October 2011 at 14:43

    My grandmother Rita Falls had no headstone .My Aunt Pauline was down visiting from Montreal talking to Tim she mentioned she would like to have a headstone on her grave Tim had one ordered for her she along with the rest of the family are so pleased with it.It"s a lovely one.Tim didn"t want a cent for such a wonderful favor.Thank you again Tim from the family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should post the I told you marker

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it is outstanding that you are honouring the deseced by ensuring they have a headstone so everyone knows there name. Kelly and I occasionally walk through the graveyards and I find it shamefull that vandals have nothing beter to do then desicrate the headstones.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't understand Kevin's comment so I asked him about it. I saw a gravestone in Liverpool for a man who died a few years ago and below his name and dates it reads "I TOLD YOU I WAS SICK". I didn't know this guy but I asked around and apparently he had a great sense of humor.

    ReplyDelete