Tuesday 25 October 2011

The Old Parade School, Main Street, Liverpool, N.S.

The first Parade School was located at the corner of Main and Brunswick Streets. It was a one room classroom and had been used for many years as a school. By the 1950s it was abandoned as a school because it was too small to house the number of children that were attending school. Another Parade School was built across the street where the Liverpool Fire Hall is now located. (Photos of that school can be seen by checking out the Liverpool Fire Hall story on my blog.) The first Parade School was in operation as early as 1854 and the building remained there until the Town of Liverpool demolished it in 1991. I personally have no memory of the building being a school. In my younger days it was used to house some heavy equipment for the town and the last years it was used for storing salt that was used in the winter for slippery highways. The style of this school was common, the Western Head and Mersey Point Schools looked very similar. If anyone has memories of this building from the days when it was a school, your comments are welcomed. All of us would love to know who taught there and what years you may have attended this school.

4 comments:

  1. Oh My Tim...I remember this building! I attended the Gorham School and had to walk past this building everyday...I just remember the HUMUNGOUS piles of salt that would be in the building, and always thinking...'that's where Mom gets our salt"...LOL I was 5!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to see pictures of the newer Parade school or students, anything would be great. My teachers at that school were Mrs Zwicker, Mrs Howard and Mrs Ball.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I attended this school in 1953 and my teacher was Mrs. Mary Zwicker. A very nice lady who lived on Zwicker ave. in the house where George Mitchell Jr. lives (I think though not totally sure). Thanks again for sharing these wonderful pictures.

    ReplyDelete