Friday 7 October 2011

The Mersey Store, Main Street, Liverpool, N.S.







The sign for the Mersey Store can be seen near the left - 1960
I don't remember the Mersey Store or it's owner Hector MacLeod but today a few people were messaging me on facebook and they remember it fondly. Apparently Hector was quite a guy and very kind to the kids. He was well known for always having what seemed to be an endless supply of cherry Chicklets for the kids. Hector bought the store from Claude Bishop and he had it for a number of years. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think it was a bit of a convenience store and drug store. Someone mentioned when she was young she would go there with her aunt and get malts so there must have been some type of ice cream counter. When Hector retired from the Mersey Store Business, he sold it to Alton Snow and Mr. Snow eventually moved it to Market Street where Top Hat Dry Cleaners is presently located. This location I do remember since I lived across the street above Wong's Restaurant in 1971. I have no picture of the Market Street store since it seems Market Street was never an area that was photographed nearly as often as other parts of town. I don't know when the Mersey Store closed because I moved to Milton in 1972 and kinda lost touch with what was going on in town, especially on Market Street. Since this store is not so familiar to me I would love to hear your comments about it. Who worked there besides Hector? If you know comment!! Thanks.


10 comments:

  1. I think my mom worked there. She used to talk about Hector MacLeod all the time, and how he was the greatest person to work for. I think it might had been her first job. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember going to the store when we first moved to Liverpool in August 1970 and for a few years thereafter. I recall Mr. McLeod being a very friendly and pleasant man. He had a great supply of western comic books like Rawhide Kid and Kid Colt. I belive Tutty and DiPersio is located on the old Mersey Store premises.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of memories of going into his store. Comic books 12 cents, and toffee !! lovely gentleman, always kind to the kids :) We used to live in the house his Dad ( or granddad) built at the end of Church St. Val lives there now, nice woodwork ( was a shipbuilder)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hector always had a positive attitude about business. You could walk during a snow storm and there would not be any other wet foot prints on the floor other than yours. You would ask him how business was and he would say great, busy as hell.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hector always gave out great treats at Halloween too. I think he gave 'normal' size bags of potato chips, not the tiny ones you get now for Halloween. When I was a little girl out trick-or-treating, getting a bag of chips was one of the best treats because not too many people gave chips back then...normally it was mostly candies and apples (that's when it was safe to eat an apple from people you didn't really know). Yes, life was much less complicated back then. The Potties at the Mersey Hotel use to pass out great Halloween treats too. When I was about 7 or 8, we use to live in the upstairs apartment in my Aunt Shirley's house (beside The Worthmore) and I use to go over to the Mersey Store on a regular basis. I loved that place. It seemed to have so much stuff in it and the workers were always so good to the kids. Does anyone remember who use to work in the store? Cheryl? Jan? Do you either of you remember?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved the cherry chiclets and the way he always seemed to have an endless supply of them in his pocket ! Always would spend my " allowance" in there on Archie comic books and candy , of course !

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish my mom was still alive so I could ask her.. Since she worked there, she would have known more about the place.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hector was a cousin of ours. The Mersey Store was a must for people who worked in the area. Like you mentioned, it was a confectionery/convenience store. I used to stop, as must people did, to pick up the daily papers, buy cigars and tobacco, small gifts for special occasions, cosmetics, greeting cards, get a sundae or milkshake from the long fountain counter, catch up on the news around town, etc. It was a gathering spot, for sure. Son, Walter McLeod is still alive in town, and he loves local history. So, talk to him, and he can fill you in on the major roll his father's father had in the once prosperous ship building industry in Liverpool. Much of his collection is in the local Queens Museum.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember Hector and he would give chcklets to the kids. Around 1965?

    ReplyDelete