Friday 23 September 2011

Veinot's Footwear - 195 Main Street, Liverpool, N.S.

The corner of Main Street and Jubilee Street has been the home of a shoe store as long as most of us can remember. The building was constructed after 1895, the year of the big fire which destroyed most of Liverpool's downtown. Before the fire, the London Fruit Store was situated on that corner.  In my postcard collection I have a postcard for a shoe store owned by H. E. Buchanan and it reads that his shop was across from the Post Office...perhaps he was the first shoe store owner at the location. However I do know that Longley H. Veinot opened the shoe store around 1934 and continued the business until 1961. Arthur Robart, Ted Emenau and Keith Wyer purchased it in 1961 and owned it until Fred Lohnes bought it about 25 years ago from Ted and Keith. Back in the day, the building was a beauty, with windows on the second and third floors and an awning that stretched out over the sidewalk but could be rolled up when the shop closed. The windows were covered with siding in the 1970s so the building lost a lot of it's character. Fred Lohnes is a fixture on that corner. If he's not inside the shop, he's out on the sidewalk chatting or watching the sites. Other than the 25 years that he's owned Veinots Footwear, I believe that he's worked there for a very long time. I do have a photo of the previous building taken before 1895 and will add it when I locate it.



Liverpool Advance March 28,1957


Taken in January 1977 - repairing damage done from snow and ice.



4 comments:

  1. TIM,I LOVE THE PHOTOS AND HISTORY TO ADD TO IT.KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK.HOW ARE YOU DOING.DO YOU HAVE ANY OLD PHOTOS OF THE ANGLICAN CHURCH AND LENA AND FLOSSIES OLD STORE.IF YOU DO I WOULD LOVE TO SEE THEM.HAVE A GREAT DAY,DAVID

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad I found this! Longley Veinot was my husbands great grandfather!

    C. Burkimsher

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mom worked at Veinots for years.

    ReplyDelete