Friday 23 September 2011

The Old Fire Station now Main Street Kwik Way

The present site of Main Street Kwik Way was not always used for retail. Actually most of the years that this building has been there it was used for our Fire Station. I think the corner stone on the building says 1947 perhaps someone in Liverpool could check it and confirm it, I'm going by my memory which can sometimes not be good. (It replaced the previous fire station which was on the same location but was a wooden structure). As a youngster I recall walking by the Fire Station and seeing the trucks and ambulances. Seems to me the building was spotless inside. Everything was always "in it's place". The floors I believe were black and white tiles, placed like a checkerboard. Upstairs, the firemen operated their bingos and dances. Wedding receptions,etc were also held there. The dances here were something you would never forget. I also attended some of the dances here that the Kinsmen club held. They were awesome and I'm sure many of you would agree. Sometime in the later 1970s the present Fire Hall was constructed and the old one was sold. There was a youth center there for a time and eventually Brian Harlow opened a Starvin Marvins convenience store, later becoming Main Street Kwik Way. Jim Awkar purchased it who sold it to Joey Nasrallah (owner of A-1) who is the present owner. In recent years the upstairs was completely renovated, creating several downtown apartments.

6 comments:

  1. A lot of great dances went on there. Good times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with what Heather said

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Kinsmen actually owned the building after the fire department moved. Many an hour I spent there working on various projects as well as lots of fellowship in the club room. The Kinsmen operated a youth hostel in the lower level for several summers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When Bea's Beauty Salon was across from the theater I made daily rounds on my trike, over to Taxi Lane, then to the mail, then to PJ's to visit with Murray while he was on break then down to IGA so Gail and I could go down to the Bowling Alley for lunch. Another trip on the trike was heading to the fire hall every time the alarm sounded. I was 3 & 4 at the time, can't imagine letting a kid do that these days. LOL Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. dont forget kinsman bingos upstairs and downstairs

    ReplyDelete