Wednesday 28 September 2011

Kentucky Fried Chicken / Seamans Store, Main Street, Liverpool, Nova Scotia

 Recently Liverpool lost another business adding it to a list of business closures in 2011. KFC closed it's doors to the shock and surprise of it's workers and customers. For almost 34 years KFC has been in Liverpool and at the same location. Back when it first opened Col. Sanders, the founder and familiar face of KFC was still living and every year when he celebrated a birthday, all KFC's would offer a 2 piece snack for the price of what his age was. I remember getting a snack for 89 cents. A quick look on google shows he died in 1980 at the age of 90. Harold MacKnight, Marsha Whynot, Eleanor Whynot were familiar faces way back when and for many years Fulton Schrader, Wanda Himmelman and Doug Whynot were employed here. Over the years the menu changed, new things added like popcorn chicken, big crunch, chicken burgers,etc but the original KFC chicken never left the menu. The delicious smell of KFC was a nice aroma on that end of town and it will be missed.
 I remember when I was a young fella going into that building to Dannie Seaman's store (it had previously been the store of his dad John Seaman). It had a lunch counter on the left as you walked in and on the far right of the store were many rolls of material for those talented people who could sew and make clothing,etc. They sold small household appliances and school supplies and probably a lot more that a kid my age really wasn't too interested in. Dannie Seaman died in the early 1970s and the store closed. I remember the name changing to MacDonalds but don't recall going in or who owned it. It wasn't opened too long when the building was sold and renovations began in September 1977. I remember walking by with my mom and seeing the entire front of the building on the ground floor being opened and you could look inside. Carpenters were inside preparing for a new business - Kentucky Fried Chicken was coming to Liverpool.
 The store front completely changed and instead of just one central door which had existed before, KFC had 2 doors, one on each end with a large central window. Tables with attached chairs were added and customers could order and eat in or take out. Also purchased by KFC was the building in back of the new KFC location and that building was demolished and a parking area created. That building I don't recall at all. Let's hope another business will open here and my history on this building and the businesses in it will continue.

7 comments:

  1. I used to love going into KFC and agrivate Wanda and the crew by ordering the hardest thing to make on the menu. "Two wrap stars please and spice them up abut would ya!!" Always a good laugh talking with the staff while waiting for the outstanding food. Yum!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This store had a couple of lives...I remember Ruby Cross (Gino's Mom) having a restaurant there. I used to go there in the 70's. They had great pie. The Bechard girls worked there (Doug Lucier's nieces)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seaman's that was the place us kids use to frequent after school. Great meeting place. I had forgotton it was also called MacDonalds. Doesanyone remember the MacDonalds. They moved to Liverpool for a short time. They had about 6 kids. They were from Ontario. I remember Danny, a little short guy and his older sister, but can't remember her name. The rest of the kids were much younger.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember MacDonalds store. I used to be a buddy with Danny. He also had a sister named Laura, I think. I later worked there for a few years after it became KFC. Eleanor and Joan Whynot both worked there than. I believe there was a Mike Herman that ran it then, and sometime after it was sold to Edward's Fine Foods.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I went to school with Michelle McDonald and went to his shop a lot- I remember sleeping over and finding the graveyard next door really scary! They used to serve a pop called 'swamp water'- I think it was made from every soft drink on tap-Danny was an artist too- his wife Claudette was good friends with my mum- I remember they owned a gold cadi, business must have been good

    ReplyDelete
  6. So I guess this means there will never be another KFC restaurant opening in Liverpool Nova Scotia. Did I get that correct?

    ReplyDelete