Thursday 22 September 2011

K & W Bookbinding - White Point Road, Liverpool, N.S.

The younger generation or new residents to the Liverpool area might think the Region of Queens Building on White Point Road might have been built to house our Municipal Government. This is not true however. Before the Region of Queens moved into that location it was the site of a book binding company. K & W (Kelsey and Whalley) operated a book binding business there. I was a bit young but I do recall my uncle Robert working there. My guess is that it was in operation in the early 1970's and possibly before. The thing most of us would remember is the books built into the side of the building - very unusual and memorable even for a young kid. The company would bind books, cover them and I even have a small Bible here that K&W was able to put my name written in gold into the cover. Not sure exactly when it closed for business but it's been a long time. Just a little trivia for those too you to remember this!

8 comments:

  1. I used to work there. My job descrition was "stripper" LOL We used to strip the books down and get them ready for the next phase. I worked there 1978-1980.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anne Marie Joudrey23 September 2011 at 05:40

    My grandmother, Helen Joudrey, worked there at one time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My aunt(Valerie Eisnor-Roy) worked there too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some of the people that I knew that worked there
    Larry Weagle, Kathy MacLeod, Jerry Hart, Bob Sanford, Jean (Oickle) Huskins,and I think Peter Davis

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still have a book that my sister-in-law, Jean Huskins, made for me

    ReplyDelete
  6. my mom Isabelle Scobey worked there when I was a kid. She had a book of her poetry bound there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to work there for 12 years,,stayed till they closed the doors,,i used to do it all,,but my main job was making the type and stamp the books,,made alot of covers and put the covers on the books,,,nice place,,,

    ReplyDelete