Wednesday 21 September 2011

Liverpool Legion...Mersey Branch #38


  On July 31,2006 the Liverpool Legion was demolished. The Legion had been in that building for over 40 years and previous to that had been in another building on the same location. My mom, grandmother, Aunt Marie and Aunt Barb were active members in the Ladies Auxiliary. In my younger years I recall ladies like Ann Boudreau, Eleanor Fox, Dorothy Boland, Helen Mason, Margie Levy, Betty Smart, Peggy Dyson and many others who worked hard to keep the Legion going. They held Tuesday night Bingos, catered to weddings, held dart tournaments and dances, had Christmas Craft shows and of course the annual Christmas party where they could take us kids. Back then it would be the only time you'd actually see Santa Claus unlike today where u see one on every corner at Christmas. Since none of the guys in my family were Legion members I don't have many memories of the male membership but of course Bob Pentz, Al Young, Murray Crouse, Joe Mason and Jack Dyson come to mind, just to name a few. The old piano that was in the Legion, I now own. I purchased it just before the building came down. I attended many bingos there with my grandmother and the day it was demolished was certainly a sad day for me. I often wonder what the older members who passed before it was demolished, would've thought to see the building go. The waterfront looks kind of empty with the old Legion building gone but for those of us who have memories, it will never be forgotten

7 comments:

  1. Wow your keeping busy. Keep up the awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always enjoyed the Remembrance Day Banquet. I recall the Remembrance Day flood in 1991; I was on my way to the dinner when Mayor Ron Lane told me to go to the office as I had to man the phones because of the flooding. Later on in the day the ladies auxiliary prepared hot meals and had them delivered to the Town Hall for all the volunteer workers. It was so good. The food was always delicious at every function. Danced a few steps and went to a few wedding receptions, banquets, events over the years at the Legion, but I never did Bingo. Good times. Somehow the new Legion isn't quite the same. Tim, I also recall the Legion prior to this one. Do you have any pictures? Something tells me it was painted blue, but I could be wrong about that. I could see the Legion out my window when I lived where Alley Nine is now as a little girl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes the old Legion certainly had character but unfortunatley it was getting to run down and to expensive to fix. The legion, I think, was lucky to make a deal for a new smaller building that was less expensive to maintain. It still has the cheapest beer in town and an outstanding friendly staff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awwwww yes,I use to like going to the old Legion for their Friday night fever, play pool and have a few beer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I REMEMBER I USE TO LIKE GOING TO TO THE OLD LEGION FOR THEIR FRIDAY NIGHT FEVER DANCES VARIETY SHOWS AND BINGO AND WEDDINGS I

    MISSED THE OLD LEGION WHEN THEY TORE IT DOWN .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gail Wells was always Santa at their Children's Christmas parties

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete