Tuesday 27 September 2011

Step Rite Shoe Store and more, Main Street, Liverpool, Nova Scotia

Side View of Step Rite Shoe Store

Pirates Cove's original location - 1995
I remember when I was just a young kid, my grandmother taking me into Step Rite Shoe Store. I believe the store was closing for business and she wanted to get herself a few pairs of shoes because they were on sale. This older man, who was the owner (Charlie Butler) took my grandmother and I to this back room and there were loose shoes everywhere as I recall. That was the only memory I have of that place. It was probably the early to mid 1970s. I believe after Step Rite closed J.P.'s Sweet Shop opened there and it had more flavors of ice cream than I had ever seen in my life. They even had a double cone so you could get twice as much ice cream which all of us kids loved. A few of us kids from Milton would go to Sunday night public skating at the Arena and head to J.P.'s after for ice cream. I don't think J.P.'s was there too many years and I don't know who worked there or who owned it. After J.P.'s closed Radio Shack opened there and had the best selection of records and eventually cassettes that I had ever seen. Seems to me the manager's name was Glen, dark hair and beard but I dont know who he was. When Radio Shack closed it's doors I think it was then it became park of Reynold's Pharmacy which was next door and he opened Pirates Cove Jewelry Store. Mark Reynold's also purchased the building next door where Liverpool Ladies Wear was located and opened a ladies clothing shop but that didnt remain open for long and Pirates Cove moved there and is still there today. The original Pirates Cove location is now used for housewares and a link to go between Pharmachoice and Pirates Cove. If I've forgotten anything at this location feel free to let me know.

5 comments:

  1. Step-Rite was where my mother bought all my shoes because they weren't as expensive as Veinot's. I believe Edith Andrews use to work there. I also remember the back room with all the shoes scattered every which way. As for JP's Sweet Shop, that was owned and operated by my brother George (Puddy) Mitchell, Jim McCorry (sp?) and Robert Trainer if I'm not mistaken. Not sure how long it was there...perhaps a few years. That was about 40 years ago. I loved the ice-cream and little tables they had set up to sit at. Great memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tim,

    Between JP's Sweet Shop and Radio Shack being there Ronnie Hirtle had a music store that sold musical instruments (mainly guitars) called the Music Loft. It was there for a year or two around 1978. I still have in my guitar collection a Mansfield classical guitar which I purchased from that store. Ronnie had initially opened the business from a location next to Leslie's store in Milton. The guy who managed the Radio Shack was Glendon Dominoe. He still lives in the Bridgewater area.

    ReplyDelete
  3. timmy glen dominoe was the radio shack manager, he lives in bridgewater and reads meters / works with mike ozon at n s power

    ReplyDelete