Friday 23 September 2011

The Liverpool IGA


 The Liverpool IGA was built around 1960 replacing the Riverside Inn which had been on the property for many years. I don't have a lot of memories of this place when I was really young but do recall as a young teen, Harley Umphrey being owner/manager. I didn't know Harley personally but had always heard great things about the guy. It was a really busy place and people had said it was because of Harley being such a good businessman as well as very personable to his customers. When renovations were completed here around the late 1970s, an instore bakery was added and there was a counter constructed by the second doors and it was almost like a bank was in the IGA. Workers from Bowaters, Stenpro, Mersey Seafoods and more would line up waiting to get their cheques cashed so they could purchase groceries here. My aunt Sherri Roy worked here in the meat department along with Ricky Whynot and Bob Parnell. On the front cash was Louise Fralic, Rose Jones, and Gail Wells just to name a few. Gail was a sweet lady and always so good to everyone, especially us kids. She was a short, chubby lady and as kind as a kitten. Of course Merrill Whynot worked there for years too, his friendliness and sense of humor you wouldn't soon forget. Many local young guys worked there stocking shelves or doing carry outs. The IGA seemed so much more relaxed than our grocery stores are today. The workers were all local people and would take the time to chat and made you feel like they were glad you stopped there to shop. Sadly, Harley Umphrey died suddenly and was about 52 and his brother in law Eldon McPhee took it over. Strangely enough, Eldon died suddenly and was about the same age. Art Peck bought the IGA and seemed to turn a lot of people off, different personality than locals were accustomed to I guess. Eventually the building went through more renovations and became Liverpool Save Easy but that was short lived. At that time I believe, Paul Snow was manager. The Liverpool Superstore was built on Milton Road and the IGA/Save-Easy closed for business in 2001. The IGA building was divided in half making 2 rental units. Guys Frenchys occupies one half and a dollar store occupied the other. The dollar store closed and that space is still presently vacant.
Above -Inside the new IGA
Below - George Mitchell - well known figure at the IGA

Liverpool Advance - November 26,1942
Elliott Wentzell - was always at the IGA

14 comments:

  1. Awww, thanks for mentioning my dad. :) He would be happy to know he is remembered. My whole childhood revolves around that place and the people that worked there.. Not to mention that Eldon was my Godfather as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the IGA and all the great people that worked there! There is so much history in our community and your blog is a wonderful way for everyone to share their memories:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Mom, Rita Veinot, was Cashier #5...Eldon always called her the fastest cashier in Queens County....She always had her register drawer full of suckers for when the kids came through her checkout. I have fond memories of the IGA...sitting in the stock room waiting for Mom and talking to Mike Anthony, Danny Whynot, Jim Parks and Manson White...and who can forget Old George Mitchell and Elliot..who Eldon picked up every morning so he could hang out at the store...Eldon and Dru were like family to me....LOVED the IGA!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those were the days. Such great memories all these pics bring back. I loved the IGA too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have lots of memories of times at the IGA, hanging out with my God mother, Gail. She was 1 of a kind and I miss her very much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heather, glad you mentioned a few more names. When I was typing it up this morning, I thought to mention George and forgot. George Mitchell and Elliott Wentzell were fixtures there and yes, Eldon was a good sport having them around the store so much. It made them both feel like they had a purpose, I believe they both felt it was their store not Eldon's
    lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I worked there for 10 years and had such fun with the rest of the employees.We got away with some crazy things back then! I worked with Cathy Maceachren, Bob Parnell, Jim parks and Wayne smith. Also in meat was Ricky whynot, Paul Hawkes, Peter Judge and Ed hatheway.Other depts.: Joyce Parks, Kathy Stitt, Wayne Anthony,Manson White, Janet Wells, Pam Westdaver,Bonny Huskins. The list goes on!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Heather... My dad (Merrill Whynot) used to love your mom. I remember a story he told me about a staff Christmas party one year.. ahhh.. hahaha.. the stories he used to tell. I've got my mom and dad's photo albums here, and there are pictures from staff parties, etc. when the guys used to dress up like women and do the charleston.. Tim I should send them to you, because I don't know who half the people are. I'm betting all these people commenting would get a kick out of them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh my god timmy when i saw the pic of elliot wentzell it brought back so many memories of Ellen and I working up at Blue Jeans and Elliot would come in and peel 50 lbs of potatoes for us if we gave him some smokes and a pop wow thats in awesome pic as well thanks Cuz :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. as u can see i havent got a clue what i am doing on here i just made the comment about elliot and signed it as anonymous why i dont know but its from me :) lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Tim....LOVE that you found pics of George and Elliot! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loved going there shopping with Gramps. Would go thru Gail Wells' line and if we had cookies she would open them and help herself. Always took a long time to shop there cause Gramps would have to stop and talk to everyone. Many fond memories.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Tim for posting a pic of my father. He and Elliot certainly were fixtures. It did give them a purpose. It was difficult for my father when the store closed it's doors...he looked forward to hanging out and helping out whenever he could. Both of my brothers Brian and George (Puddy) started their working life at the IGA as Packer Boys when it first opened. Once they got older Brian was promoted to produce manager, not sure about George. I was forever going in to get small change from them to buy candy with (I was about 6 or so). Sandy Rhodenizer (Bobby's wife) use to work there as well. I believe her maiden name was McRae (or something like that). Loved the IGA and all the friendly staff....management was the best.

    ReplyDelete