Thursday 3 November 2011

Tupper Park and Harry & Alice Hartlen, Milton, Nova Scotia

The area in Milton by the first bridge is one of many beautiful places in Queens County. The river is beautiful, the falls breathtaking and really one of a kind in our county. The 2 Milton Churches along the Mersey River just add to a picturesque scene. On the West side of the Mersey is Tupper Park, yet another beautiful addition to that area but Tupper Park was not always there. Some of Tupper Park was actually part of the river and was filled in. In the 1970's Milton resident Harry Hartlen was seen there regularly levelling out many loads of fill and soil to create what we have today. Harry lived just up and across the street (almost across from the Blacksmith Shop) so he spent countless hours creating what we all enjoy today and he did it all by hand with a shovel and wheelbarrow. Harry was a character to say the least. He operated a taxi business, well I'm not really sure if he had a registered taxi business but he drove it anyway.
Harry & Alice Hartlen
ALICE'S NURSING HOME
Harry' wife Alice operated Alice's Nursing Home in their home for many years. I remember walking home from school and seeing the old folks in there. One lady in particular always waited for us kids to walk by and we'd wave and she'd wave back. She always sat in the same chair right in the window to see the kids and goings on. I never knew who she was and I often wondered when we all started going to Liverpool Regional High School what her name was. I'm sure she missed us Tupper Street kids who always took the time to wave and smile.

Harry and Alice had no kids and after their deaths in the early 1990's the house was sold. George Fraser owned it for many years and in the last 2 years or so Richard Colp purchased the house. It's bright red roof is certainly noticeable when you're driving in the area.

Tupper Park is a great place to go and sit and relax. It's also a great place for family photos too. Many weddings pictures have been taken there over the years. The park has given many people lots of enjoyment since it was completed in 1980 and we owe it all to Harry Hartlen. I remember as a teenager wondering why they named it Tupper Park...I always felt it should have been named Harry Hartlen Park since it would not exist if it wasn't for him.

Harry and his mom Dec. 1974

Inside Alice's Nursing Home

Inside Alice's Nursing Home - Fanny Snow and Mrs. Dolliver....Fanny was the lady who always waved to us kids!

13 comments:

  1. It was named Tupper park after the people that owned it , callChristine Tim

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was one of those Tupper Street kids who use to wave to that lady. I remember growing up Harry use to make weekly trips to the city. Dad use to get Harry get his stickers for the number plates when they was due.

    After the ground was all in place...my father provided the fertilizer (cow dung) as us kids would go up and take it off the truck and spread it around with a pitch fork. Such a beautiful little park today to sit and enjoy the scenery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I kinda figured the Tuppers probably owned the land.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just about everyone in Milton would agree with you Tim. It should be Harry Hartlen Park.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Tim. I remember them fondly. My grandmother cooked at the nursing home for years and then lived there. Good memories!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember Harry Hartlen (just barely though0 from the time I lived in Milton

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember him always feeding the ducks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Most of the area that was landfilled had been a sawdust pile from the saw mills at the falls. One of my summer jobs was to mow the grass at the parks on both sides of the road. I also had a job to dig out arount the trees and rock them up so that they would survive.
    I also remember going to sing christmas carols and deliver Cheer boxes at the nursing home with the church group.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Barb Kempton-Fralic4 November 2011 at 03:23

    Thats my Aunt Alice and Uncle Harry! My grandmother Kempton[ Jessie Hartlen] brother. Love the picture, brings back memories from when I was little and use to go there to see my Great grandmother Sophie Hartlen and my Great Aunt Sadie Johnson. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW I REMEMBER HARRY AND ALICE THEY WERE A PART OF MY CHILDHOOD.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i remember going to halifax with him when Betty was sick and he would take her in his taxi and then walking by there everyday on our way to and from school awesome ppl they were

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete