Friday 4 November 2011

Ted's Mart/MacNutt's Grocery/Lucky's Kwik Way, Main Street, Liverpool, N.S.

Ted Veinot owned Ted's Mart on Main Street for several years. The previous owner was Laurie Whynot who also had the small convenience store for several years. Ted and wife Mildred owned and operated the store when I was a kid in the 1970s. We'd stop for ice cream, pop, or chips..all those treats that kids like. In 1978, Janet and Merrill MacNutt bought the business and changed the name to MacNutt's Grocery. After a few years in business they demolished the building and constructed a new building with 2 sections. The left side was the modern convenience store and on the right was a take out with hamburgers,fries,etc. After a few years the lay out was changed and instead of the 2 areas it was renovated to be all one area with one entrance rather than 2. Merrill and Janet eventually sold the business. Brian Harlow bought the business but I dont think he bought it from the MacNutts, I believe there may have been another owner in there. Brian changed the name to Lucky's Kwik Way. After a few years in business he sold the store to people from Halifax who had it for a short time and it closed and has been vacant since. The last I knew, the building was still FOR SALE. Maybe some of the readers can fill in some blanks, especially from the day when Laurie Whynot owned it. I have no memories of that at all, guess it was before my time.

16 comments:

  1. Ah... I remember hanging out in that store... the good old days....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man do I ever remember that store and the take out. Used to get my donairs there. LOL And before it was MacNutt's it was owned and operated by Laurie Wharton...

    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  3. Was it Laurie Wharton? I think it was Laurie Whynot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG!!!!!! My mother worked at McNutt's, then when the new building was built Gerry and Kim Risser bought it, then Brian and Bernice....Mom worked for all three of them. I remember Mom had to take me with her on her first day of work:) I loved the big display window of chocolate bars, and the big Pepsi chest freezer that had a bottle opener on the front! It was really cool when the new building was constructed because they had a grocery store check out with a moving belt. And the take out had a window where they could pass things back and forth to the store. I have a picture of the origional staff when Gerry bought the store...they became a Needs Store, I'll have to look for it...but I know that my mother Rita Veinot and Coreen Thorbourne worked there, and my Step mother Evelyn Baker worked in the take out. That store was the centre of my community and it's very strange not to see it operating anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use to get 50 cents for allowance nad every Saturday I would go there and get a lime crush from the coke cooler with the water in it and a Vachon flaky. When I was older me and my friends would go for a giant Moonmist Ice Cream for 25 cents. Those were the days. How many times did Janet yell at us for going into the store with our roller skates on. She would stand there for hours while every kid decided what penny candy they wanted.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have heard so far that the store is being renovated and brought back to life to become a convenience store again. A couple with ties to the area who currently live out west will be opening sometime in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bucky and Donna Norman used to own or run it too when it was called Luckys, I think... I worked there when they did for a bit in the take out part.... and as someone said I used to make a lot of donairs.. that was the biggest seller...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cool!! I forgot the way the store used to look!! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My pleasure Kenny...and Heather I can feel your excitement in your message. See you don't have to be old to remember things from back when!

    ReplyDelete
  10. They used to sell a cup of coffee for 25 cents. Ted and I would walk down in the evenings and get a cup, then go for a walk. That`s when we had 50cents to spare!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beverly Amirault4 November 2011 at 13:25

    I used to go there alot. I can remember the good old days when we could get a chocolate bar and chips for 10 cents!!! I guess I am getting old LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cheryl Kennickell4 November 2011 at 15:35

    When our grandchildren were home from Bc a few years ago we walked down for ice cream cones and then went to the park. They were just 2 and 3. They were disappointed that it was closed last summer. Hope it opens again soon. It was a real loss for our neighbourhood when it closed.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Did anyone notice the phone number on the advertisement? 4-4065....I used to love it when we only had to dial the 5 digits instead of 7! LOL, the things that bring back memories :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. When Laurie owned it, the older kids would send us in to buy cigarettes for them.3 cents each. They didn't want to get caught but it was OK for a little kid to do it, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I remember when a pack of cigarettes was 44 cents...cents....before Laurie owned it i believe Edgar Thourborne owned the store....that was way back when...i used to love the frostie root beer we could get for 12 cents a bottle

    ReplyDelete
  16. Tim we bought the store from Merrill McNutt in 1985 and kept it for a couple of years running it with both the grocery and take out sides. We then sold it to TRA who leased it to the man and woman who later took over the corner store by Potanc Road in Milton.

    Donna Norman

    ReplyDelete