Monday 7 November 2011

The New Gorham School, Payzant Street, Liverpool, Nova Scotia




Sketch of what the Gorham School would look like
The new Gorham School was built on Payzant Street in the 1960s. Strangely enough it was built next to the Liverpool Jail, something today that would not be allowed...hopefully. The school was a one level building and named after the old Gorham School which was located at the top of Gorham Street and was demolished in the 1960s. I attended the Gorham School for the latter part of grade 1 which was in 1971. My teacher was Barbara Tutty. Other teachers there were Margaret Fisher and for music Terry Hurrell. I have vague memories of the school but recall a large open area, maybe an auditorium or something like that. Perhaps others who went there longer than I did can share their memories of the school. Some of the other kids in my class were Bev Eisnor (Amirault), Pat Hawkes, Gary and Larry Whynot, Everett Conway, Brian Winters and Steven Chandler to name a few. Like many of the smaller schools, the Gorham School ceased to be used as an elementary school some years ago and I believe has been used for upgrading classes. I'm sure in time it will see the wrecker's ball which seems to be the trend for these buildings.

10 comments:

  1. I grew up across ghe street from this school. I remember Mrs Downie, Mrs Berman, these two were my favs, ms wesley or wessel, mrs anderson and music and miss deon (mouzar).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember Cheryl's grandfather (Laurie Thorburn) sitting in his chair in the front porch watching the kids playing everyday.... I also drove the bus there a few times when I first started driving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find many useful things herewith. It is really amazing for us. Where ever we are, just click on the website and Take advantages .Your article impressed me very heartily. From a last decade I was searching such type of web site. Thanks for giving me a space in your blog. I refer this to my close friends who are already seeking for the same .thanks again guys…Driving lessons Liverpool

    ReplyDelete

  4. Hi, what a great web blog. I usually spend hours on the net reading blogs on various subjects. And, I really would like to praise you for writing such a fabulous article. I honestly believe there is a skill to writing articles that only very few posses and yes you got it. This is really informative and I will for sure refer my friends the same. Thanks…Driving lessons Liverpool

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks to share such a great information you posted in your blog about The New Gorham School, Payzant Street, Liverpool, Nova Scotia.
    liverpool driving schools

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, what a great web blog. I usually spend hours on the net reading blogs on various subjects. And, I really would like to praise you for writing such a fabulous articleDriving lessons Liverpool This is really informative and I will for sure refer my friends the same. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This particular weblog is seriously interesting, keep blogging good info.
    driving lessons Liverpool

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, I was simply checking out this blog and I really admire the premise of the article and this is really informative. I will for sure refer my friends the same. Thanks
    driving lessons Liverpool

    ReplyDelete