Tuesday 13 March 2012

Main Street, Liverpool, Nova Scotia

Main Street in Liverpool during the late 1960 or 70s...I remember a lot of this well and those of you who are older than I am would have even clearer memories of a much busier Main Street than we see today. Veinots Footwear on the right, Simpson Sears on the left...Worthmore store straight ahead. The taxi stand was going strong on Jubilee Street and the Town Hall was still in use as a municipal government building. The Stedmans Store was relatively new and the town was going through probably one of it's busiest growth spurts ever. Peoples, Met, Canadian Tire and the Liquor Store were either just built or were about to be. Liverpool's Main Street was changing and changing fast.

8 comments:

  1. Interesting to see cars parked on the side of the street. It doesn't seem like it would be wide enough for three cars to safely pass these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. and no parking meters!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My kind Main St!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoops, I mean my kind OF Main St

      Delete
  4. Tim, I lived above Hatt's Electrical store in 68, when my son was born, which is where the Liquor store was. I moved out of there, to go above the Flower Shop ( bake store is now) and then they tore down the building I lived in. So I think it was sometime in 68 or early 69 when the house came down.I moved to the city in 69. There was another house beside Hatt's which would be where HH is. I know I got my license in 70 and I was then living in the city.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great pic...made me wonder when the parking lot was introduced...hmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that right beside Simpson Sears was Rossignol Agencies, where my Mom worked for Doug Norman, and he shared the space with Lawrence Anthony who had a trucking company. That would have been late 60s, early 70s. (Liz Fraelic)

    ReplyDelete