Sunday 4 December 2011

Seamone's Bakery, Market Street, Liverpool, Nova Scotia

Those of us who are about 35 years of age and older could never forget the awesome smell coming from Seamone's Bakery on Market Street. The breads, rolls and biscuits, the pies, cakes and cookies were a true delight when walking on or near Market Street. The Bakery was located next to the Bank of Montreal and was demolished in 1983. Eventually the lot was used to build what was first the Save Easy grocery store. That new building is now the home of South Shore Opportunities,Henneberry's Barber Shop and more.
Inside the bakery things were a bit old and dated but the treats were the best. Janet Wroblewski worked there and would always give us kids a free gingerbread man cookies. The chocolate donuts were one of my favorites and after buying them and taking them in a paper bag, we'd get home only to find the donuts there but all the chocolate was attached to the bag,  we ate them anyway.


I contacted Marion Seamone who lived in Liverpool for many years to see what she knew about the bakery since her dad owned it. Marion told me the following -

....Dad opened the bakery in the fall of 1959 and the staff at that time was Mrs.Brown who lived on the corner of Main & Wolfe St.:Judy Westhaver who made the pies & Janet Wrobleski made the donuts etc;Earl Whynot helped Dad with the baking.....there were many other employees over the years .....Roxie Johnson;Bobby Hatt;Bryant Pushie to name a few.......I worked after school & on weekends in the front part which was the the store where the gingerbread men and the brown bread quickly became favorites as did the butterhorns.....other students who worked there were Nancy Jane Mott & Cheryl Snyder......the office off to the side eventually became a favorite stopping spot for many in the community especially those who worked the late night shifts. Dad was always there in the wee hours getting everything oven ready so product would be in the store early in the morning......the smell of baking would be difficult to resist for many working in the area .My brother Paul took over after Dad passed away in the early 70's...eventually the oven & bakery equipment was moved to the IGA store where Paul continued to bake the favorites......

I remember that it was a man who had a combined bake shop/bible store.....and am going to try and find out who it was.......a strange combination...apparently he sold donuts ,cookies, & Bibles.I have to look up some old references.....


......Doug Crouse was the man Dad bought the bakery from...........there was also a Doug Himmelman who worked at the bakery for a time...

Thanks to Marion for sharing her memories of the bakery. I know I'm one of many who will never forget that place!

25 comments:

  1. Fond memories of the brown bread and peanut butter cookies. Also remember going there with Paul and putting cake and pie boxes together. Peanut butter cookies was great payment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I walked by the bakery everyday on my way to and from school and often picked up a loaf of white bread "sliced" for 25 cents and took it home to my Mother. If Mr Seamone happened to be icing a cake on the way by the office, he'd give me a taste of the icing on my finger. So nice to see this picture, I can almost smell it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to stop in here just about every day after school for a treat, Usually a lemon tart!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Barb Kempton-Fralic5 December 2011 at 06:45

    Gingerbread Men for me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rose Marie Mooers5 December 2011 at 06:45

    They made my wedding cake (for my first wedding) LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Their homemade donuts were AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  7. big sugar cookies for me

    ReplyDelete
  8. eclairs were to die for!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sandra Cardinell5 December 2011 at 06:47

    Loved the raisin bread!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always took brown bread (6 at a time) back to Montreal when I went back after vacation. Dad always sliced it for me not the machine. It was the best brown bread that I ever had and not one comes close to it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Elizabeth Fraelic5 December 2011 at 06:49

    The donuts!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Home made double loaf brown bread!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Getting one of those gingerbread men is one of my favourite memories when mom would take this Brooklyn boy 'over town' !

    ReplyDelete
  14. Brownies and brown bread

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mom used to work there when I was young. I remember the treats she brought home. YUM

    ReplyDelete
  16. Carol Rose Leblanc5 December 2011 at 06:53

    Seamone's made our wedding cake 40 years ago. It was awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gingerbread men , thank you for taking me back a few years.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The first time I was permitted to take my bike to town when I was 12 I bought a chocolate-covered doughnut. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Talked to someone recently who's favorite was the butterhorns....my personal favorite was Dad's brown bread..........

    ReplyDelete
  20. The brown bread was my absolute favourite too. I use to try to buy it when it was fresh out of the oven. I can taste it now with lots of butter! So delicious. But...I had many other favourites too....peanut butter cookies was another one. I use to make trips to the bakery in the morning to get goodies for the girls at the Town Hall. I miss those days.

    ReplyDelete
  21. How could I forget the gingerbread men!!! They were amazing! Everything was amazing! I have never tasted brown bread as delicious as Seamone's Bakery.

    ReplyDelete
  22. The glazed pastry donuts, and the Neopolitans...yummm

    ReplyDelete
  23. Geraldine Cunningham9 December 2011 at 06:55

    Tim who owned the gararge across from where the bakery was going in to Stenpro Where Ron had his chain saw shop .Can"t remember his name.

    ReplyDelete