Sunday 4 December 2011

R.C.M.P. Detachment, Liverpool, Nova Scotia

When I was very young, I recall the Liverpool Town Police around the town of Liverpool. I assume the RCMP were there at the same time but looked after the county rather than the town. The RCMP detachment was located down at Fort Point and had been there for many years. In 1980 a new RCMP detachment was built on School Street and by October of that year it was nearing completion. This new detachment is still used by the RCMP in Queens County. I remember Staff Sargeant Peter Williamson heading the local RCMP when I was younger and
Old RCMP Detachment at Fort Point
that's about as far back as I can recall. His sons,
Peter and Charles were around my age and in high school around the same time. Les Kakonyi, Mike Hall, Al LaRocque, Reg Lagasse, Grant Webber, were just a few of the well known RCMP officers who patrolled our county, making it a much safer place.As I had written in a previous blog, it's really hard to believe the RCMP detachment has been on School Street for over 30 years. Makes one wonder where does the time go?


The present RCMP Detachment on School Street

8 comments:

  1. Tim, my brother Scott was best friends with Peter Williamson, and boy could he tell some stories! Scott always told me how they used to go in the station to hang out with Mrs. P (Beryl Pitblado), and how she would make Scott and Peter wash the Police cars to stay out of trouble! He still talks fondly of Mrs P :) I always thought it was weird that Peter lived at a police station! haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not to forget the famous (infamous) Archie Mason.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ted was a member of the auxilery police force when Pete Williamson was Sargent. We went to a few get togethers at the detachment. We haven`t seen most of the mrmbers in a long time, but we do visit Jonh Ashton in Cape Breton. We saw Mrs.P in July.She always made us homemade bread!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My generation may remember the "riot year" of around 1964/65. We were a massive generation, it may have been Hallowe'en and everyone was out. Groups quickly turned into a mob. There was a lot of unrest in the high school then and I think we burned the principal Doug Tozer in effigy. I remember marching en masse down Main St. to his house at the fort singing Beatles songs, stomping our feet...baby I'm stomp stomp glad all over, yes I'm stomp stomp glad all over. When we got to the fort we picked up several cars and placed them across the entrance to the mountie house blocking the street so that the mounties could not get out. Then we turned and headed back up town. Most were completely innocent in any wrong doing and there wasn't much. I remember we headed up School St and down Church. Some began picking up cars and moving them, maybe a few were turned over. Not many. It wasn't that much fun. What was fun was marching en masse through the streets of Liverpool singing Beatles songs at the top of our lungs. There was no alcohol or drugs just the feeling of power that hit us in the 60's. Eventually the mounties escaped from our trap and helped calm the place down. I think we still had town police. A few kids were handcuffed and taken to jail for show. After this the town instituted the town curfew. At ten O'clock a siren blew and anyone under the age of 16 had to be off the streets. And the Mounties built a less vulnerable Headquarters by the hospital.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I first started working for the Town of Liverpool in 1973, the Town Police were still in force. Their offices were in the Town Hall and one of my duties was to dump out all confiscated alcohol and to do the paper work for all LCA and MVA reports. It was one of the more interesting aspects of my job. It was soon after I started working at the Town Hall that the Town Police were replaced with the RCMP. Two of the Town Police were Wayne Whynot (not well-liked if I remember correctly) and Wayne Ingram. Hugh Dixon and Philip Croft were also officers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG, the curfew!!! I grew up at the bottom of King Street and the siren was at the Park next door....man was it loud at night!!!! Love all of these old memories Tim!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think there was a staff-sargeant Brogan before Williamson. I went to school with his two daughters.

    ReplyDelete