Wednesday 22 February 2012

Old Ball Field now Sobeys in Liverpool,N.S.

The Old Liverpool Ball Field where Sobeys is now...note the wooden fence on the left...building on the right was later the Dairy Treat.
Next time you drive through the Tim Horton's drive thru in Liverpool remember that you are driving where bleachers once were. Those bleachers were behind home plate at Liverpool's old ball field. That ball field is now Sobeys and it's parking lot. The famous ball team Liverpool Larrupers played on this field. I don't know when the ball field started here but I have a video from the late 1920s early 1930s and it shows a short clip of a ball game held there. I remember going to a ball game in the 1970s with my grandmother where the comedy team the California Cuties played a hilarious, fun-filled game against the Liverpool Fire Fighters ball team. As late as the 1960s there was a wooden fence around the ball field and in it's last years, there was a metal mesh fence around. Sobeys purchased the property and built their store and created the parking lot I would guess the early 1980s. Little did we all know, that this was the beginning of a new commercial area in Liverpool with many other new businesses going in that part of town. Back then it was hard to believe the ball field was gone. Today, one would never know a ball field was ever there. After the old field was sold, a new ball field was created on White Point Road.

5 comments:

  1. Growing up on Bristol Avenue,I spent many days playing at the ballfield and enjoying the games.There was a faucet behind the bleechers where we would all get cold drinks of water by holding out mouths right under the tap and more than a few times the boys would squirt us by covering the tap with their fingers. Lots of fun and laughter there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember seeing the mesh fence up and when we use to go to town with Dad and Mom shopping they were always playing ball. My how times have changed, now all the fields are so close together its only a hop and a skip to get there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also remember as a kid, going over to the ball field and playing flag football afterschool. Oh, how our town has changed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember one evening they were giving helicopter rides to people who wanted to go. My brother, Dad and I went over to watch the helicopter land, load some people, and take off again. I asked Dad if we could go, but he wouldn't let us get on. I was so disappointed.

    ReplyDelete