Thursday 12 January 2012

Liverpool Tourist Information Centers



Liverpool Tourist Information Center in the 1970s
I believe someone had told me that back some years ago, if tourists came to Liverpool and needed directions or information they went to the Perkins house. When I was a kid, living near the parking lot there was a small building used as a Tourist Bureau. It was about the size of someone's livingroom but served it's purpose and was located near the location of the present building. After it was demolished a newer, more modern building was constructed on the same location, parking areas made, beautiful rock walls were eventually added. Once again this building served it's purpose, helping and guiding thousands of visitors to our area over the years. About 2 years ago that building was sold (to Jeff Delaney I believe) and moved to White Point Road. A larger, expensive building was built to house the new Liverpool VIC...(Visitor Information Center). This building was built a little higher to avoid flooding, which as we all know, happens often in the Liverpool Parking lot. The new VIC is beautiful and a nice addition to a somewhat bare waterfront. I've been to many VICs in many towns and our new building is as nice, if not nicer, than any I've been to over my years of travelling. I dropped in one day to check it out and I was not disappointed!


Building the present Liverpool Visitor Information Center
The second Liverpool Tourist Information Center

2 comments:

  1. I think alot of the cost came from digiing the foundation and backfilling it with enough rock to ensure it would be stable enough and high enough that it would not be affected by the CONSTANT flooding downtown

    ReplyDelete
  2. And now that old building is on a foundation out past my house and being used as somebody's home.....they are building a piece onto it to make it a little bigger but still in all a piece of Liverpool history is being used.

    ReplyDelete